Sekėjai

Ieškoti šiame dienoraštyje

2024 m. gegužės 28 d., antradienis

What Do You Need for a Good Life in Science?


"From "Breaking Through: My Life in Science" (2023) by biochemist Katalin Kariko:

By living up to these standards day after day, I'd become a very good scientist. But I was learning that succeeding at a research institution like Penn required skills that had little to do with science. 

You needed the ability to sell yourself and your work. 

You needed to attract funding. 

You needed the kind of interpersonal savvy that got you invited to speak at conferences or made people eager to mentor and support you. 

You needed to know how to do things in which I have never had any interest (flattering people, schmoozing, being agreeable when you disagree, even when you are 100 percent certain that you are correct). 

You needed to know how to climb a political ladder, to value a hierarchy that had always seemed, at best, wholly uninteresting (and, at worst, antithetical to good science). 

I wasn't interested in those skills. I didn't want to play political games. Nor did I think I should have to. Nobody had ever taught me those skills, and frankly I wasn't interested in them anyway." [1]

“Katalin "Kati" Karikó is a Hungarian-American biochemist who specializes in ribonucleic acid-mediated mechanisms, particularly in vitro-transcribed messenger RNA for protein replacement therapy. Karikó received the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine in 2023 for her work, along with American immunologist Drew Weissman.”

1. Notable & Quotable: Science. Wall Street Journal, Eastern edition; New York, N.Y.. 28 May 2024: A.17.

Komentarų nėra: