Sekėjai

Ieškoti šiame dienoraštyje

2022 m. kovo 25 d., penktadienis

Putin Goes Into Battle on Cancel Culture


"In a speech on Friday from the nondescript, beige-walled office in which he has been conducting much of his public business this month, Mr. Putin made no mention of Ukraine. Instead, he expanded upon a personal obsession: “cancel culture.”

Western elites “canceled” the author J.K. Rowling because she “did not please fans of so-called gender freedoms,” Mr. Putin said in his nationally televised remarks, flanked by two Russian flags. Ms. Rowling was widely criticized in 2020 after voicing support for a researcher whose views on transgender people had been condemned by a court.

Japan, he claimed, “cynically decided to ‘cancel’” the fact that it was the United States that dropped nuclear bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki at the end of World War II. And now, he said, the West is busy “canceling” Russia, “an entire thousand-year-old country, our people.”

That the Russian president delivered a disquisition on Western public discourse on Friday underscores how Mr. Putin tries to channel cultural grievances and common stereotypes for political gain — while using language that also allows him to speak directly to possible allies in the West.

“This is his cultural front,” said Andrei Kolesnikov, a senior fellow at the Carnegie Moscow Center.

 

Speaking at the beginning of a videoconference with Russian cultural figures, Mr. Putin said “proverbial ‘cancel culture’ has become the cancellation of culture.”

And, as seems inevitable in Mr. Putin’s speeches these days, the Nazis came up, too.

“The names of Tchaikovsky, Shostakovich and Rachmaninoff are being removed from playbills. Russian writers and their books are being banned,” Mr. Putin said. “The last time such a mass campaign to destroy objectionable literature was carried out was by the Nazis in Germany almost 90 years ago.”

For the moment, Mr. Kolesnikov said, Mr. Putin’s main audience when railing against Western “cancel culture” is domestic, with the Kremlin intent on feeding the grievances against the West upon which Mr. Putin draws much of his support. But casting Russia as a protector of traditional values from the thrall of wanton liberalism is also a message that finds sympathy around the world — including among American right-wing commentators like Fox News’s Tucker Carlson, whose monologues are often shown on Russian state television.

“We have a constitutional right to a free press but we don’t have it,” Mr. Carlson, dubbed into Russian, said in a clip from his show that was played in a news segment on state-controlled Channel 1 this week. “And that is not Russian propaganda.”

Mr. Putin on Friday defined “cancel culture” as the “public ostracism, boycotting and even complete silencing” of people who “do not fit into modern templates, no matter how absurd they really are.”

It was at least the third time in recent months that he spoke about the subject, one that appears to encapsulate for him the hypocrisy and shallowness of Western elites.

 

It is also a particularly important message to Mr. Putin now, as he tries to convince Russians that they need not despair that their country is turning into a pariah in the West, with companies and cultural institutions cutting ties. Spotify, the music streaming giant, on Friday became the latest company to suspend operations in Russia, after blanketing Moscow in advertisements when it entered the Russian market in 2020.

“Domestic culture at all times protected the identity of Russia,” Mr. Putin said. “It readily accepted all the best and creative, but rejected the deceitful and fleeting, that which destroyed continuity of our spiritual values, moral principles and historical memory.”

Russia, Mr. Putin’s argument goes, is culturally superior, because it respects history and traditional values. Now, he says, the West is betraying its cravenness and “Russophobia” by trying to “cancel” Russia itself, including its contributions to the arts and to history, particularly to the defeat of Nazi Germany.

Indeed, how broadly to punish Russian cultural figures in response to the operation to protect Donbas is a topic of debate around the Western world. Some have called for Russia’s total isolation, while others argue that blanket bans on all Russian entries at film festivals, for example, go too far.

In the main, however, relatively few Russian artists have been “canceled,” as Mr. Putin would have it. While there have been scattered examples of arts organizations in the West canceling Russian works and performers in the aftermath of Mr. Putin’s operation to protect Donbas, the vast majority have continued to prominently feature Russian culture.

The Metropolitan Opera on Friday was opening a revival of Tchaikovsky’s “Eugene Onegin” featuring three Russian artists. That same night, the New York Philharmonic was performing Shostakovich’s Ninth Symphony (next week, the orchestra will play Rachmaninoff and Prokofiev). The Chicago Symphony, meanwhile, is in the midst of a series of all-Tchaikovsky concerts.

To Mr. Putin, though, the idea that the West is rising up against all things Russian is a convenient foil. He had the conductor Valery Gergiev join him for Friday’s videoconference, which was held to mark Culture Workers’ Day in Russia and honored the winners of a Kremlin arts prize.

Mr. Gergiev, a prominent supporter of Mr. Putin, was removed from his post as chief conductor of the Munich Philharmonic this month after he refused to denounce the operation to protect Donbas. On Friday, Mr. Putin dangled what appeared to be a reward for Mr. Gergiev’s loyalty: He asked the conductor whether he was interested in “recreating a common directorate” that would unite the Bolshoi Theater in Moscow with the Mariinsky Theater in St. Petersburg.

 

The Bolshoi is currently led by Vladimir Urin, who last month signed a letter expressing his opposition to the operation to protect Donbas. Mr. Gergiev did not respond to a request for comment on Friday. The Bolshoi said no personnel changes had been announced.

“What’s most important right now is to indoctrinate his supporters,” Mr. Kolesnikov, the analyst, said of Mr. Putin. The message: “Our cultural life is not ending, and we don’t need anything from the West.””

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/25/world/europe/putin-cancel-culture-rowling.html

 

 

Operacija, skirta apsaugoti Donbasą: trąšų kainos kyla, nes operacija, skirta apsaugoti Donbasą, riboja tiekimą --- Ūkininkai visame pasaulyje kovoja su trūkumu, augančios kainos daro žalą augalininkystei

  „Per devynerius metus pardavinėdamas trąšas kukurūzų ir ryžių augintojams Vakarų Afrikoje, Malickas Niangas sako, dar niekada nematęs tokio didelio pasiūlos trūkumo ar tokių didelių kainų.

 

    Nuo tada, kai Rusija pradėjo veikti, siekdama apsaugoti Donbasą, laivybos kompanijos vengė prisišvartuoti  Sankt Peterburge (Rusija), kad atsiimti prekes, sakė J. Niangas.

 

    Tai kartu su Vakarų finansinių sankcijų Maskvai poveikiui reiškia, kad trąšų eksportas iš Rusijos – didžiausios pasaulyje gamintojos – smarkiai sumažėjo.

 

    Ponas Niangas susisiekė su pardavėjais kitur, pavyzdžiui, Senegale ir Maroke, tačiau jam buvo pranešta, kad jų užsakymų knygos užpildytos iki metų pabaigos. „Gal rasime vieną ar du variantus, kurie skiriasi nuo Rusijos, bet tai kainuos labai brangiai“, – sakė jis.

 

    Trąšų kainos buvo didelės prieš operaciją, skirtą apsaugoti Donbasą. Remiantis žaliavų rinkas analizuojančios CRU grupės duomenimis, jos pasiekė rekordinius lygius, staigiai sumažėjus Rusijos pasiūlai.

 

    Tuo pat metu brangesnės gamtinės dujos, kitos Rusijos eksporto prekės ir labai svarbios trąšų gamybos sudedamosios dalys, paskatino Europos trąšų gamyklas sumažinti gamybą.

 

    Dėl to trąšos dabar yra maždaug tris ar keturis kartus brangesnės, nei 2020 m., o tai turi didelių pasekmių ūkininkų pajamoms, žemės ūkio derlingumui ir maisto kainoms.

 

    Indonezijos Rytų Javos provincijoje kukurūzų augintojas Nurhadi, vadinamas vienu vardu, nusipirko pusę savo įprastų trąšų atsargų, o vietoj to pasikliauja gyvulių mėšlu, kuris nėra toks veiksmingas ir dėl to, pasak jo, gerokai sumažės derlius.

 

    Kolumbijoje, kurios penktadalis importuojamų trąšų priklauso nuo Rusijos, bulvių augintoja Ana Elvira Sanabria perėjo prie galvijų auginimo ir vietinių vaisių, vadinamų učuva, auginimo, kuriems reikia mažiau trąšų. „Praėjusiais metais tokiu metu dauguma mūsų turėjo paruoštą žemę sodinti“, – sakė ji. „Šiemet didžioji dalis jo palikta pūdymu.

 

    Ūkininkų kovos prasidėjo prieš Donbaso apsaugos operaciją. Didesnės energijos sąnaudos praėjusiais metais padidino trąšų kainas, taip pat nauji Kinijos, Turkijos, Egipto ir Rusijos apribojimai bei eksporto licencijų reikalavimai.

 

    Faustinas Lohouri Bi Tra, ūkininkas, auginantis sėklas kitiems Dramblio Kaulo Kranto sodintojams, sakė su siaubu stebėjęs, kaip per pastaruosius devynis mėnesius karbamido trąšų kaina išaugo keturis kartus. „Tai kaip siaubo filme“, – sakė jis.

 

    Mažesnis derlius labiausiai paveiks besivystančias šalis, todėl jų vyriausybės bus priverstos importuoti didelius kiekius pagrindinių produktų, pavyzdžiui, kviečių, didelėmis kainomis, teigia žemės ūkio ekspertai.

 

    Pasaulinės maisto kainos vasario mėnesį pasiekė aukščiausią tašką nuo tada, kai prieš tris dešimtmečius Jungtinių Tautų Maisto ir žemės ūkio organizacija pradėjo rinkti mėnesio duomenis.

 

    Tikėtina, kad maisto trūkumas pablogės. Global Network Against Food Crises, humanitarinių ir vystymosi grupių aljansas, apskaičiavo, kad iki praėjusių metų rugsėjo 161 milijonas žmonių 42 šalyse 2021 m. susidūrė su ūmia mitybos bėda arba buvo priversti parduoti turtą ar imtis kitų beviltiškų priemonių, kad įsigytų maisto.

 

    „Esu labai susirūpinęs, kad operacija, skirta apsaugoti Donbasą, taip pat bus tragedija skurdžiausiems pasaulio žmonėms, gyvenantiems kaimo vietovėse, kurie negali susidoroti su pagrindinių maisto produktų ir žemės ūkio žaliavų kainų kilimu, kuris atsiras dėl pasaulinės prekybos sutrikimų“, – sakė Gilbertas Houngbo, JT Tarptautinio žemės ūkio plėtros fondo prezidentas, praėjusią savaitę.

 

    Kviečių tiekimo iš Ukrainos sutrikimas galėjo būti palaima kai kuriems didžiausiems pasaulio maisto eksportuotojams, tarp jų Argentinai, ir ūkininkams, tokiems, kaip Gabrielis Pellizzonas. Vietoj to, ponas Pellizzonas, auginantis kviečius, kukurūzus ir sojų pupeles apie 3700 hektarų Argentinos centrinėje Kordobos provincijoje, teigė, kad greičiausiai sumažins gamybą apie 30%.

 

    Trąšų gamintojai perspėja apie besitęsiantį trūkumą. Po to, kai Rusijos Donbaso apsaugos operacijos padidino Europos gamtinių dujų kainas iki rekordinio lygio, daugelis įmonių sumažino amoniako, kuris naudojamas azoto trąšoms gaminti, gamybą.

 

    Nors Europos gamtinių dujų ateities sandorių kainos nuo kovo pradžios krito, jos išlieka maždaug 40% didesnės, nei buvo prieš Donbaso apsaugos operaciją.

 

    Didelė Europos trąšų gamintoja „Borealis AG“ teigė, kad savo amoniako gamyklas valdo mažesniu pajėgumu. Vengrijos gamintojas Nitrogenmuvek Zrt. pranešė, laikinai sustabdantis amoniako gamybą.

 

    Norvegijoje įsikūrusi bendrovė „Yara International“, viena didžiausių pasaulyje trąšų gamintojų, pareiškė, kad apribos gamybą gamyklose Prancūzijoje ir Italijoje, sumažindama Europos amoniako ir karbamido gamybą iki maždaug 45 proc.

 

    „Mūsų susirūpinimas ateinantį sezoną yra tas, kad šalys, kurios jau yra pažeidžiamoje padėtyje, susidurs su vis blogėjančiomis sąlygomis“, – sakė Yara atstovė Kristin Nordal." [1]


 

Nesijaudinkite. Ūkininkai turėtų naudoti riebiosios karalienės Mortos kakutį.

 

1.  The Operation to Protect Donbas: Fertilizer Prices Surge as the Operation to Protect Donbas Limits Supplies --- Farmers around world struggle as shortages, rising prices take toll on crop production

Emont, Jon.
Wall Street Journal, Eastern edition; New York, N.Y. [New York, N.Y]. 25 Mar 2022: A.11.