The ongoing regional conflict and blockades in key shipping lanes are severely straining global commodities. With Iranian oil shipments and regional supply lines constantly disrupted, global agricultural and energy markets face persistent inflationary pressure, driving up costs for consumers worldwide.
Energy Markets & Oil
A significant portion of the world's energy supply relies on safe passage through the Strait of Hormuz. With conflict lingering and U.S. forces actively targeting Iranian coastal radar, surveillance, and missile sites to maintain safe navigation, global oil prices remain heavily volatile. Disruptions have frequently pushed crude prices higher.
Agriculture & Fertilizer
• The Energy-Food Nexus: Natural gas is the primary feedstock for producing nitrogen fertilizers (like ammonia). Spikes in global gas prices immediately translate into higher fertilizer costs for farmers.
• Supply Chain Disruptions: Escalating skirmishes and the threat of Strait of Hormuz blockades threaten bulk exports. Higher costs to power shipping fleets, combined with restricted trade routes, restrict the flow of crucial fertilizers and food staples (such as wheat and corn) across the globe, inflating grocery bills.
“TEL AVIV -- Israel said Sunday it had launched airstrikes on Iran in retaliation for waves of missiles fired at its northern regions in a tumultuous day of renewed violence in the Middle East that tested a fragile ceasefire.
Israel followed through on a promise to counterattack after Iran's missile assault, despite warnings to hold off from President Trump, who said a deal to end the war was near with Tehran. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was under pressure from his political allies and the opposition to respond to the Iranian missile barrage.
Iran fired at least 10 missiles in four waves of attacks on Sunday in response to a deadly Israeli airstrike on Beirut hours earlier targeting the Tehran-backed militant group Hezbollah. Israel said its air force struck military targets in central and western Iran in response, including air-defense systems and weapons, an Israeli official said.
Later Sunday, Israel said it was under attack from a ballistic missile launched from Yemen, likely by the Houthis, the Iran-backed militant group that runs much of that country. No injuries were reported.
The earlier exchange of strikes marks the first time Iran and Israel have targeted each other since a ceasefire brokered by the U.S. went into force in early April. The tit-for-tat threatens to escalate a conflict that has been largely contained since then, despite some lower-intensity skirmishes.
"The Iranian regime made a serious mistake," an Israeli military spokesperson said, adding that Israel would continue its operations against Hezbollah in Lebanon.
Israel said it intercepted the Iranian missiles and there were no reported injuries. Iran warned it would respond with force against Israel and its allies should Israel retaliate.
Before Israel struck back, Trump appeared to be trying to de-escalate the situation, telling Fox News and Axios that he was pressing Iran and Netanyahu to stand down.
Fox News said Trump told the network in an interview, "What I would suggest to Iran: You've shot your missiles, that's enough. Get back to the table and make a deal."
Later, he told the Financial Times he would dictate the terms of the war to Netanyahu. "I call all the shots," he said, the news outlet reported. "He [Netanyahu] doesn't call the shots."
The U.S. Central Command, which oversees American forces in the Middle East, earlier posted a video featuring jet fighters with the message: "U.S. forces across the Middle East remain vigilant and ready."
The Iranian attack came after Tehran threatened to hit Israel and U.S. bases in the Middle East in response to the airstrike on the Lebanese capital, the first time Israel had targeted Beirut since a ceasefire on that front was announced by the U.S. last week. Israel had agreed not to hit Beirut as long as Hezbollah didn't attack Israel proper, and agreed with Lebanon on a broader truce as long as the militant group stops fighting.
After the attack on Israel began, Iran's state broadcaster quoted the Iranian military as saying Israel must stop.
"If it expands its attacks on that region or responds to Iran's actions, it will begin with devastating strikes against the regime and its supporters," state media reported Iran's armed forces as saying.
Netanyahu ordered the strike on what he said was a Hezbollah headquarters in the southern suburbs of Beirut, a stronghold of the militant group. Earlier, Israel's military said Hezbollah had fired rockets into northern Israel, which it intercepted.
Tehran has sought a halt to Israeli operations inside Lebanon as part of the peace negotiations with Washington. On Sunday, Iran's top negotiator, Mohammad-Bagher Ghalibaf, said the U.S. blockade of Iranian shipping and what he described as the American green light for the Israeli strike in Lebanon "turn American and regime bases and assets in the region into legitimate targets."
The Israeli prime minister's office didn't respond to requests for comment on whether Israel's latest strike on Beirut had Washington's approval.
In the interview with Fox News's chief foreign correspondent, Trey Yingst, on Sunday, Trump said the latest Israeli strikes on Hezbollah targets in Lebanon weren't coordinated with the U.S. But for weeks, U.S. officials have said Washington supports Israel defending itself against attacks from the Iranian proxy.
Trump told NBC that he supports surgical strikes against Hezbollah after telling Netanyahu last week that he wouldn't accept a large-scale Israeli assault on Beirut.
The U.S. has previously stationed warplanes in Israel, at a base in the Negev and at the airport in Tel Aviv. But there are no indications they have been targeted or caught up in the attacks.
Israel said last week the ceasefire agreement with Lebanon included a U.S. understanding that it could strike Beirut if Hezbollah attacked Israel.
Following the Iranian attack late Sunday, Israel suspended school across the country, a sign it was anticipating that hostilities could continue. Israel's Airports Authority, however, said activity at the country's main international airport continued as usual.
Israel's military said its airstrikes in Beirut hit a command center where Hezbollah was operating and which had been used to plan strikes against Israel. Lebanon's health ministry said the strike killed two people and injured 20 more, including four women and four children.
Last week, Trump held a tense call with Netanyahu and demanded that Israel halt strikes in Beirut amid pressure from Tehran to end Israeli operations against Hezbollah. Netanyahu agreed but said any more direct attacks on Israeli territory by Hezbollah would be met with attacks on Beirut.
Afterward, the U.S. State Department said the Israeli and Lebanese governments had agreed to a ceasefire after weeks of negotiations that would end the fighting as long as Hezbollah stopped attacks and pulled out of an area near the border with Israel. The deal called for Lebanon's army to take control of small parts of the area in a pilot project.
Hezbollah and Iran swiftly rejected the deal, saying they would accept no halting of fighting until Israel had fully left Lebanon.
The Iranian attack and airstrikes in Beirut followed another exchange of fire over the weekend between U.S. and Iranian forces, the latest in a series of skirmishes over the blockage of the Strait of Hormuz, the waterway on which a fifth of the world's oil supply depends and that has become a central stage for the conflict.
The U.S. military on Saturday said it shot down four Iranian attack drones that had been launched toward the strait, which Iran has effectively blocked since early in the war and which the U.S. has made sporadic efforts to pry open. The military said it also struck what it called surveillance and radar sites along Iran's coast.” [1]
1. Israel Strikes Iran to Retaliate For Series of Missile Barrages --- Foes target each other for first time since April; Trump's peace pleas rebuffed. Lieber, Dov. Wall Street Journal, Eastern edition; New York, N.Y.. 08 June 2026: A1.
Komentarų nėra:
Rašyti komentarą