Sekėjai

Ieškoti šiame dienoraštyje

2023 m. liepos 22 d., šeštadienis

The Sun Belt Isn't Hell, but AC Is Heaven.

 

"I thank Mark Naida for his op-ed on Texas' hot summers ("A Simple Fan Can Fix the Hottest Day," July 15). 

Unlike Philip Sheridan, the Civil War general who said that if he owned Texas and hell both, he would rent Texas and live in hell, I've lived happily in Texas for 75 of my 85 years. 

Being of the Silent Generation, I grew up without air conditioning. When summer came, I'd sleep next to an open window and sprinkle water on the sheets. Things changed in the 1960s.

In San Antonio, we don't have to shovel snow off sidewalks or porches. There are no icy streets and only a few freezing days in winter. When snow falls, it's exciting. The only time my 5-year-old "perfect dog" saw snow, she barked at it. There are other parts of Texas where those horrors happen, but not here. I'd take the trade-off of hot summers any year.

Sally Hoffman-McNeel

San Antonio" [1]

1. The Sun Belt Isn't Hell, but AC Is Heaven. Wall Street Journal, Eastern edition; New York, N.Y. [New York, N.Y]. 22 July 2023: A.12.

 

Komentarų nėra: